The Calgary Humane Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was incorporated in 1922. At that time, the Society’s mandate included the protection of children, homeless people as well as animals.
Now, The Calgary Humane Society is the only organization providing a service under the Animal Protection Act in Calgary. The CHS provides care for surrendered, neglected, abandoned, and abused animals.
The first Shelter was built in 1960 with a capacity to handle 2,500 animals a year. By 1973, the Society was receiving over 8,000 animals a year and it became urgently necessary to construct a new facility. The CHS opened a new animal care centre in 1976 approximately five times the size of the previous Shelter.
In 1988 another campaign, Room to Live, raised enough funds to expand and renovate the Shelter. Through the late 1990's, the CHS helped between 12,000 and 13,000 animals, a figure which represents both stray and owners’ animals. More room was needed to house cats and to accommodate a growing staff of workers and volunteers.
In 2005, the Calgary Humane Society experienced more growth with the “By Leaps and Bounds Capital Campaign” reaching its target of $10 million ensuring that our wonderful, large and safe facility could be constructed, paid for and opened in 2006.
The Calgary Humane Society continues to work for the animals with the aim of preventing and suppressing cruelty.