Volunteering at Calgary Humane
When we need extra helping hands here at The Calgary Humane Society, we will post a volunteer position description here on our website.
At the moment, we are currently looking for support with the following volunteer role(s):
Groomer Volunteer - to be posted soon!
If you are interested in another volunteer position that is not currently posted, please keep checking back. Please also familiarize yourself with the general volunteer requirements below so that you are aware of some of the details before a position becomes available.
The Calgary Humane Society sincerely appreciates your interest in volunteering for our organization, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to confirm receipt of applications, or provide the status of the placement process. Please note that only candidates who are selected to participate in an interview process will be contacted.
No phone calls please.
Individual Volunteer Requirements and Process
- Must be 16 and older, Dog Walkers must be 18 and older. If you are under 16, please check out our Youth Involvement Opportunities here.
- Determine how much time you are able to give. As a volunteer, you will be asked to commit to a minimum of six months of service. Most positions require a weekly commitment of two hours.
- A love for animals and a genuine concern for their welfare and well being
- Belief in and commitment to the mission of The Calgary Humane Society: to help as many animals as we can
If your application is selected to move forward with the placement process, you will be asked to:
- Attend a personal interview to determine an appropriate volunteer placement
- Request a Police Information Background Check once placement is decided
- Attend orientation and training sessions related to your volunteer placement. Volunteer positions working directly with dogs or cats will require additional classroom training on canine or feline body language and safe animal handling skills before becoming an active volunteer.
Please note that some positions require a start-up cost. (i.e. Dog Walkers purchase a leash for a discounted price, etc).
Group Volunteer Requirements
- Must be 16 and older
- Maximum of 25 volunteers
- Single-day, group volunteer opportunities are hosted M – F for a 3-hour shift (9:00am – 12:00noon or 1:00pm – 4:00pm)
- Groups will be asked to help with tasks around the shelter that could include: helping our Animal Care team with the never-ending laundry & dishes, cleaning the cat and dog kennel glass in our Adoptions section, picking up litter and weeding the outdoor agility park in the warmer months and there are often other projects/tasks that may arise!
- Groups will not be able to perform tasks with direct interaction with the animals given the safe animal handling training required for all staff and volunteers who work directly with the animals.
At this time, we have filled our need for volunteer groups in 2013. Please do check back with us in the New Year as we greatly appreciate and rely on our groups for help around the shelter!
If your group is interested in a Group Volunteer Day here at the shelter, please contact email@example.com for more information and to determine current availability of dates.