About our Emergency Boarding Program
The Calgary Humane Society offers short-term emergency boarding for pets belonging to people in crisis. This program is intended as a last resort for individuals who are unable to care for their animals temporarily due to a crisis situation.
Crises include such disasters as:
- Loss of house due to fire, flooding, or other natural disasters
- Sudden hospitalization due to unforeseen medical emergencies such as car accidents, heart attack, stroke, broken bones, etc.
- Individuals entering a recovery program or rehab centre may also qualify depending on the individual circumstances
Emergency pet boarding is made available to those who are unable to access help from family, friends, or other pet boarding services in Calgary. It is required that these options are exhausted before admittance into the program will be considered. In some cases, surrendering the animal may be strongly suggested.
Individuals requiring access to the Emergency Boarding Program must be referred by or verified by a recognized service agency or professional, such as a Social Worker or Disaster Response Worker (EMS, Fire Fighter, or Police Officer). Admittance to the program is considered only after all criteria have been met and is granted at the discretion of the CHS.
- Length of stay is 10 days.
- The client is required to sign an Owner Agreement.
- Vaccinations are required and will be provided.
- Your animal may be fostered with the qualified foster volunteer.
- Your animal will be provided with daily food, water, socialization, exercise, and preventive care.
- Visitation is not permitted, however, owners are encouraged to call regularly for an update.
- Strictly confidential—client anonymity is guaranteed.
PREPARING FOR A DISASTER
Pet Evacuation Checklist
Disasters and emergencies can happen at any time and without warning. As a responsible pet owner, it is important to have a plan in place to ensure the safety of your pets in case of evacuation. This includes having a checklist of essential items to bring with you, ensuring your pets have proper identification, and making arrangements for transportation and pet-friendly accommodations. By being prepared and following a pet evacuation checklist, you can help reduce stress for both you and your pets during an emergency situation.
Non-Emergency – All Hours
Emergency – Business Hours
Call 403-205-4455 and select Option 2 for immediate routing to Call Centre for emergency handling.
- Weekdays 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Weekends 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Emergency – After Hours
All 24-Hour Vet Clinics will also be able to assist in an emergency.
If you are a pet owner looking to join the program, please read and sign the Terms and Conditions.
If you are a qualified professional who would like to refer your client to the program, please complete the referral form.