Join us for a fun session of training with your dog
Select a category below to view our available classes:
Not sure which class would best suit your dog? Take our Quiz!
Please note Covid19 protocols are in effect for all in person classes including mandatory masks, social distancing of 2 meters and a maximum of 2 handlers per dog over the age of 18
Virtual Smarty Dogs
Virtual Smarty Dogs provides you with a solid foundation of skills, self control and polite manners. We will cover puppy and dog behaviour challenges and enrichment ideas all from the comfort of your home. You will be invited each week to our virtual classroom where you and others will learn and ask any questions you need to set your dogs up for success. Use your smartphone, laptop or computer with webcam capabilities to join in the fun from near or far away.
For dogs of all ages!
Live group classes via video conference
Skilled trainer demonstrate and explain each step in training
Individual coaching and guidance as you work with your dog
**Participants are required to have an internet connection with either a laptop, computer webcam or smartphone capabilities**
Virtual Smarty Dogs Curriculum Price:
$180 non-members, $150 for CHS members, seniors, dogs adopted from shelters/rescue organizations. Your registration fee goes right back to helping the animals of Calgary Humane Society!
Classes are 55 min and run for 6 consecutive weeks
Virtual Zoom Sessions:
Join our puppy club and begin the important bond between you and your puppy. Puppies will enjoy play sessions with other puppy friends, which is essential at a young age to learn bite inhibition and appropriate dog-dog skills in a safe environment. You may even make new friends too! For 5 weeks you and your puppy will engage in enrichment activities that will encourage mental stimulation, confidence and development at the prime and most important stage of your puppy’s life.
**Requirements: Puppies must have their second set of vaccinations and start class no later than 16 weeks old to graduate by 20 weeks of age.**
Puppy Club Curriculum Price:
$110 non-members, $93 for CHS members, seniors, dogs adopted from shelters/rescue organizations. Your registration fee goes right back to helping the animals of Calgary Humane Society!
- Thursday October 29th 2020 @ 6:00pm (Full)
- Saturday October 31st, 2020 @ 10:00am (Full)
- Thursday November 5th, 2020 @ 6:00pm (Full)
- Saturday, November 7th, 2020 @ 10:00am (Full)
- Thursday November 12th, 2020 @ 6:00pm (Full)
- Saturday November 14th, 2020 @ 10:00am (Full)
Smarty Pups provides you with a solid foundation of skills based on positive humane training while building a strong, life-long relationship with your pup. Learn to work with your puppy on skills such as gaining attention, recall, handling, walking politely, self control and as well as address challenging behaviours such as mouthing, jumping, and appropriate dog – dog skills with other pups. Your pups going to be the smartest on the block!
**Requirements: Puppies must have their second set of vaccinations and start class no later than 18 weeks old to graduate by 25 weeks of age.**
Smarty Pups Curriculum Price:
$224 non-members, $190 for CHS members, seniors, dogs adopted from shelters/rescue organizations. Your registration fee goes right back to helping the animals of Calgary Humane Society!
Classes are 55 min and run for 6 consecutive weeks, an online orientation is required to attend classes.
- Sunday October 18th, 2020 @ 10:00am (Full)
- Thursday October 29th, 2020 @ 7:15pm (Full)
- Saturday October 31st, 2020 @ 11:15am (Full)
- Sunday November 29th, 2020 @ 10:00am
Adult Dog Classes
Polite Pooches: Foundation Class
This course is a great first step in developing a lifelong friendship with your four-legged best friend. Learn foundation obedience skills, self control and polite manners throughout class to incorporate in everyday life.
Requirements: Dogs must be spayed or neutered, older than 5 months and up-to-date vaccinations. Dogs must be people and dog friendly. An online orientation is required to attend class.
Polite Pooches Curriculum Price:
$224 non-members, $190 for CHS members, seniors, dogs rescued from shelters/rescue organizations (including CHS, Animal Services, ARF, etc.) Classes are 55 min and run for 6 consecutive weeks,
- Sunday October 18th, 2020 @ 11:30am (Registration Closed)
- Saturday October 31, 2020 @ 12:30pm (2 spaces remaining)
- Sunday November 29th, 2020 @ 11:15am (1 space remaining)
Reactive Dog Classes
Reactive Rover is a structured environment tailored to dogs who bark and lunge at other dogs when on leash. Dogs will be taught using primarily positive reinforcement, with the goal of class to have the dogs under threshold. The same techniques can be used with other stimuli such as bikes, joggers and critters. Note this class is not for human directed aggression.
Requirements: Dog must be neutered/spayed and over 5 months of age. Dogs also must be up to date on vaccinations. Handlers must be over the age of 18.
Classes are 50 mins long and run for seven weeks. Orientation attendance is required to attend classes.
Price: $440 for non-members, $374 for CHS members, senior citizens and dogs rescued from shelters or other rescue organizations (including CHS, Animal Services, ARF, etc.)
- Wednesday November 4th, 2020 at 6:00pm (1 space remaining)
- Tuesday November 10th, 2020 @ 6:00pm
- Tuesday November 10th, 2020 @ 7:15pm (1 space remaining)
(Last sessions of the year)
- All fees are non-refundable and non transferable. There are no make up classes and no pro rated fees of missed classes.
- Spaces are limited and must be booked in advance. Your space will only be reserved once payment is received and you are notified with a confirmation email.
- Classes are subject to minimum enrollment and may be cancelled or rescheduled if the minimum number of students is not met. In such a case, the student may be transferred to a different session.
- Classes are not held on long weekends or holidays. CHS occasionally hosts special events that may require your class to be differed by a week. CHS will provide each student with a schedule of classes on the first lesson, which will include any postponed classes.
- If a student elects to miss a class, that class cannot be made up at a different time. Students may not transfer to a different session once their session has begun.
- From time to time, CHS may reschedule classes due to instructor availability, severe weather or very dangerous road conditions. In such a case, students will be advised by e-mail and telephone. A make-up class will be rescheduled.
- If a dog is found to be reactive or fearful (e.g., barking, lunging, growling, cowering, etc.) to the point of disruption, instructors will make every effort to alter the lesson or the classroom to help the dog remain calm. In the event this cannot be done, the student may be asked to discontinue coming to that class. CHS will work with the student to provide suitable training to meet the student’s and the dog’s specific needs.