Strategic Business Plan
Guiding our organization for the next four years
The Board of Directors and other key stakeholders at Calgary Humane Society have created the 2018 Strategic Plan to guide the organization towards our hundredth birthday and to set us up for the next 100 years.
It is designed to encourage our staff, volunteers, supporters, and other stakeholders to be a part of the solution to end animal homelessness, abuse, and cruelty by ensuring that we continue to meet the needs of the communities we serve and providing the highest level of care to the thousands of animals we work with every year.
We will continue to promote responsible pet ownership and compassion for animals and will focus our energies on providing the highest standard of care possible to ensure all five freedoms are met for each and every animal who enters our facility. These freedoms are fundamental to the overall mental and physical health of an animal and include:
Freedom from hunger and thirst
Freedom from pain, injury, and disease
Freedom from distress
Freedom from discomfort
Freedom to express normal behavior
Areas of Strategic Focus
Based upon these four areas of focus, there are thirteen strategic goals to which the team at Calgary Humane Society will direct their attention and focus their energy on achieving over the course of the next four to five years. These goals are as follows:
- To provide a healthy, clean, and enriched environment for sheltered animals for the duration of their stay, in accordance with the five freedoms.
- To decrease length of stay, increase adoptability, and find suitable homes for as many animals as possible that come into our open admission facility.
Community Impact & Engagement
- To engage the community to positively impact the interactions between people and animals.
- To develop and promote outreach programs that support positive pet relationships and address animal welfare, protection, and safety issues.
- To inspire the community to access the wide variety of services offered by CHS.
Financial Resources and Philanthropy
- To responsibly manage assets and allocate financial resources with accountability and transparency.
- To create opportunities for all segments of the community to support CHS’s mission.
- To be the animal welfare philanthropic partner of choice in our community, thereby helping donors achieve their charitable goals.
- To establish and build upon relationships with CHS’s supporters to secure the resources needed to fulfil our mission.
Team and Culture
- To be the non-profit employer and volunteer opportunity of choice.
- To foster a committed team of the most qualified, devoted, and compassionate people who champion CHS’s values and deliver CHS services with respect and integrity.
- To create an inclusive environment that fosters open and honest communication.
- To encourage a culture that consistently embodies CHS’s values.