Animal behaviour is a fascinating subject that is constantly evolving into a more complex study into how animals act and think. Want to learn more about animal behaviour? We welcome you to join us for one (or more!) of these informative sessions!
For more information, please call 403-723-6019 or email us.
Old Pet, New Baby
New sights, smells, sounds and strollers; Baby’s arrival can spell drastic change in your home. Imagine how your pet feels! Don’t wonder how Rover will feel about the new family member or fret about Frisky’s reaction – set your pets up for success! The Calgary Humane Society’s animal behaviour coordinators will teach you how to prepare your pets before baby arrives and show you how to successfully introduce them to your child.
This seminar is held once or twice a month at the Calgary Humane Society. This evening class runs for about two hours. This is a lecture, not an animal training session, so please leave your animals at home.
Future dates are coming soon…
Calgary Humane Society
4455 – 110 Ave S.E.
To register: Call Alberta Health Services at 403-781-1450 or visit their web site at www.birthandbabies.com
Tellington TTouch Companion Animal Training
The Calgary Humane Society uses innovative, humane approaches to working with animals called Tellington TTouch. We host a couple six-day TTouch training sessions each year held at our facility. To learn more about TTouch, please visit TTouch’s Canadian website.
TTouch was developed by internationally recognized animal expert, Linda Tellington-Jones. The program is based on cooperation and respect and it can greatly influence the the health and performance of our animals. TTouch establishes a deeper rapport between humans and animals through increased understanding and effective communication.
February 18, 2017
To register: visit the TTouch Canada web site
Building Blocks to Advanced Training and Companionship
A 2-day Workshop with Emily Larlham
This 2-day workshop is for pet enthusiasts, dog sport participants, and dog trainers of all levels. Topics range from foundation behaviours to advanced skills.
Emily Larlham runs the dog training business Dogmantics Dog Training in San Diego, California. She is known around the world for her popular Youtube Channel ‘Kikopup’ where she has posted over 200 free in-depth dog training tutorials.
9:00 -10:30 (1hour 30 mins)
- Progressive Reinforcement Training. Building a relationship based on trust, the most important thing needed in order to train an animal.
- How to train without intimidation: Teach, Reinforce, Interrupt, Prevent
10:40 -12:00 (1 hour 20 mins)
- Complex Luring Lab – Using rear end awareness
- Adding a cue, removing a lure
1:00 – 2:30 (1hour 30 mins)
- Building a calm foundation – The benefits of handling and massage. Getting started using chin rests.
- Training Default Behaviors – Examples: No mugging, giving into leash pressure, leave it, settles, training session behaviors, and default social behaviors.
2.40 – 4:00 (1 hour 20 mins)
- Advanced Targeting Lab – Work with dogs on: Head nod, sustained paw lift, and visual targeting
9:00 – 10:30 (1hour 30 mins)
- Why Train Tricks? Increase learning skills, balance, fitness, flexibility and body awareness.
- Release Cues – How to train release cues and their multiple uses
10:40 – 12:00 (1 hour 20 mins)
- Techniques for Raising Criteria – Using Behavior Chains, Premack, and Back Chaining
1:00 – 2:30 (1hour 30 mins)
- Freestyle Flatwork – Positions and Transitions
2:40 – 4:00 (1 hour 20 mins)
- Multi Dog Households (multi animals/children)
- Tips for fear, reactivity and aggression
Please click here for more details.
September 16 & 17, 2017
9827 – Horton Road SW
Register by July 3rd for early bird pricing!
To register: Please visit our website