About Our Pet Safekeeping Program
The pet safe keeping program provides short-term housing at no charge for animals belonging to individuals in crisis due to family violence or abuse. This program offers safety planning and support to victims of domestic violence with domestic animals. As well, it provides a safe alternative to remaining in a dangerous situation.
Individuals requiring access to this program must be referred by a recognized service agency or professional, such as a social worker, police officer, medical professional, or caseworker from a recognized emergency family shelter. Admittance to the program is considered only after all criteria have been met, and is granted at the discretion of Calgary Humane Society.
- Length of stay starts at 21 days, however, we are here to support both the animal and the owner throughout the duration of their journey.
- Proof of ownership, vaccination history, health care documentation, and ID are required, if available.
- The client is required to sign the Owner Agreement.
- The referring agency must complete the Referral Form.
- Vaccinations and spaying/neutering are provided if required. Other medical care will be at the owner’s expense.
- Your animal may be fostered with a qualified foster parent.
- Your animal will be provided with daily food, water, socialization, exercise, and preventive care.
- Visitation is not permitted, however, the owner can call to check on status of the animal.
- The program is strictly confidential—client anonymity is guaranteed.
Non-Emergency – All Hours
Emergency – Business Hours
Call 403-205-4455 and select Option 2 for immediate routing to Call Centre for emergency handling. Available:
- Weekdays 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Weekends 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Emergency – After Hours
All 24-Hour Vet Clinics will also be able to assist in an emergency.
If you are a pet owner looking to join the program, please read and sign the Terms and Conditions.
If you are a qualified professional who would like to refer your client to the program, please complete the referral form.