One of the alternative ways to donate to Calgary Humane Society is by giving your time to the animals in our care. The support of our volunteer team is as important as any and there are dozens of different positions around the shelter that can use your help. Whether it is dog walking, kitty calming or bunny hugging there is a volunteer position for everyone 16 years or older!
When we need extra helping hands here at The Calgary Humane Society, we will post a volunteer position description here on our website. At the moment, we are currently looking for support with the following volunteer role(s):
The Calgary Humane Society sincerely appreciates your interest in volunteering for our organization, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to confirm receipt of applications, or provide the status of the placement process. Please note that only candidates who are selected to participate in an interview process will be contacted. If you are interested in another volunteer position that is not currently posted, please keep checking back. Please also familiarize yourself with the general volunteer requirements below so that you are aware of some of the details before a position becomes available. Thank you!
Individual Volunteer Requirements and Process
- Must be 16 and older, Dog Walkers must be 18 and older. If you are under 16, please check out our Youth Involvement Opportunities. We do apologize, however we cannot make exceptions to this age minimum. The reason this is in place is due to safety (as many of the animals come in with unknown behaviour histories and, in some cases, can be unpredictable and sometimes dangerous) and hygiene considerations here at the shelter.
- Determine how much time you are able to give. As a volunteer, you will be asked to commit to a minimum of six months of service. Most positions require a weekly commitment of two hours.
- A love for animals and a genuine concern for their welfare and well being
- Belief in and commitment to the mission of The Calgary Humane Society: to help as many animals as we can
If your application is selected to move forward with the placement process, you will be asked to:
- Attend a personal interview to determine an appropriate volunteer placement
- Request a Police Information Background Check once placement is decided
- Attend orientation and training sessions related to your volunteer placement. Volunteer positions working directly with dogs or cats will require additional classroom training on canine or feline body language and safe animal handling skills before becoming an active volunteer.
Please note that some positions require a start-up cost. (i.e. Dog Walkers purchase a leash for a discounted price, etc)
Corporate Volunteer Requirements
- We have a limited (however VERY important!) number of group volunteer opportunities that we need help with here at CHS.
- Must be 16 and older
- Maximum of 25 volunteers (larger groups can be accommodated and split into different shifts)
- Single-day, group volunteer opportunities are hosted M – Sat for a 3-hour shift (9:00am – 12:00noon or 1:00pm – 4:00pm)
- Groups will be asked to help with tasks around the shelter that could include: cleaning kennels, helping with dishes and laundry, outdoor landscaping projects, as well as other projects/tasks that may arise! Whenever possible we will arrange for a break with a visit from one of our furry friends!
If your group is interested in a Corporate Volunteer Day here at the shelter, please complete the application form which will add you the distribution list to receive updates on available opportunities as they are identified. If we have an opportunity available for you, a member of our volunteer team will be in touch.