The Calgary Humane Society offers short term housing for people in crisis through the Emergency Boarding program. This is a last resort program for individuals, experiencing crisis and are unable to care for their animals temporarily. Crisis include such disasters as loss of house due to fire or flooding, sudden hospitalization due to a car accident, or other sudden medical emergencies including but not limited to a heart attack, stroke, broken hips. Individuals entering into a recovery program or rehab centre may also qualify for the EB program depending on the individual circumstances. It is required that if there are families or friends in the individuals life that can take responsibility for boarding at a kennel or veterinary clinic or care for the animal that all these options are exhausted before admittance into the program will be considered. In some cases, surrendering the animal may be strongly suggested.
Individuals requiring access to the EB Program must be referred by or verified by a recognized service agency or professional, such as a Social Worker or Disaster Response Worker (EMS, Fire fighter, or Police Officer). Admittance to the program is considered only after all criteria have been met, and is granted at the discretion of the CHS.
- Length of stay is 10 days.
- Proof of ownership, vaccination history, health care documentation, and ID are required, if available.
- The client is required to sign Owner Agreement.
- Vaccinations and spaying/neutering is required and will be provided, if necessary. Other medical care will be at owner’s expense.
- Animal may be fostered with qualified foster volunteer.
- Animal provided with daily food, water, socialization, exercise and preventive care
- Fee waived for animal surrender
- Visitation is not permitted, however the owner can call to check on status of the animal
- Strictly confidential – client anonymity is guaranteed
Non-Emergency – All Hours
403-205-4455 Ext: 6527 or 403-723-6025
Emergency – Business Hours
Weekdays 12:00 – 7:00 PM
Weekends 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Call 403-205-4455 and select Option 2 for immediate routing to Call Centre for emergency handling.
Emergency – After Hours
All 24 Hour Vet Clinics will also be able to assist in an emergency.
The following documents are available for download for the EB Program: