How to Adopt
CALGARY HUMANE SOCIETY’S MODIFIED ADOPTION PROCESS
Updated Sept 26, 2020
Calgary Humane Society has been working diligently on our coordinated response to protect our employees, volunteers, foster parents and the public from COVID-19. During this time, it is important we place as many of our animals into loving homes as quickly as possible. We have modified our adoption processes to facilitate adoptions by appointment while observing all necessary precautions to limit the transmission of the virus.
Calgary Humane Society’s adoption process is as follows:
- All potential adopters are asked to visit calgaryhumane.ca and select an animal they are interested in adopting. We ask that only serious applicants apply. We are working with reduced staffing and our goal is to ensure our resources are being used to get as many animals into homes as possible.
- Potential adopters will complete the online lifestyle survey for the animal type they are interested in. Applications will be accepted by e-mail only. Our Adoptions team will do their best to answer phone calls and emails in a timely manner. However, please be patient with us as it might take us longer than usual to respond.
- All applications will be reviewed and will be accepted based on the best fit for the animal. Potential adopters will be contacted as quickly as possible. Please note that if the animal has a lot of applicants and we are unable to reach you when we call, we will move onto the next applicant in line.
- Our standard adoption interview will be done over the phone.
- We will be asking all interested adopters to answer questions about their current health status before setting an appointment.
- Applicants are expected to be available to come in by appointment only until further notice to attend a meet and greet with the animal.
- To maintain proper social distancing and minimize the number of individuals entering the facility, we ask only critical family members attend the animal meet and greet. Please be prepared to take the animal home the same day as our meet a greet visit.
Only adopters chosen as the best fit for the animal will be contacted to help clear the shelter as quickly as possible.
We would like to thank the Calgary community for their ongoing support during this challenging time. If you wish to make an online gift to support the animals, you may do so here.