How to Adopt
We are currently operating a modified adoption process due to COVID-19.
As of March 23rd, 2020, Calgary Humane Society’s adoption process will be as follows:
- All potential adopters are asked to visit calgaryhumane.ca and select an animal they are interested in adopting. If you are serious about making this commitment, please proceed to the next step.
- Potential adopters will complete the online lifestyle survey (linked in the box above) for the animal type they are interested in. Applications will be accepted by e-mail only. Our Adoptions team will be unable to answer phone calls while they work hard to make the best match between families and the animals.
- All applications will be reviewed and will be accepted based on the best fit for the animal. Potential adopters will be contacted as quickly as possible.
- Our standard adoption interview will be done over the phone.
- We will be asking all interested adopters to answer questions about their current health status before setting an appointment.
- Applicants are expected to be available to come in by appointment only until further notice to attend a meet and greet with the animal.
- To maintain proper social distancing and minimize the number of individuals entering the facility, only one person over the age of 18 is permitted to attend the animal meet and greet.
Only adopters chosen as the best fit for the animal will be contacted to help clear the shelter as quickly as possible.
Adopting a pet is a lifetime commitment. Please take the time to research what type of pet is best suited to your lifestyle. You will notice that some of the dogs on our website have specific adoption requirements. These restrictions or requirements are placed out of genuine concern for the animals in our care and in consideration of any potential adopters.
**Please do not bring your dog to the shelter unless you are coming for classes or have spoken with an Adoption Counselor about setting up a time to introduce your dog to a CHS dog.