Pet Safekeeping Program
The PSK Program offers safety planning and support to victims of domestic violence and provides a safe alternative to remaining in a situation that is dangerous to both themselves and their pets. The PSK Program provides short-term housing at no charge for animals belonging to individuals in crisis due to family violence or abuse.
Individuals requiring access to the PSK Program must be referred by or verified by a recognized service agency or professional, such as a Social Worker, Police Officer or a case worker from a recognized emergency family shelter. Admittance to the program is considered only after all criteria have been met, and is granted at the discretion of the CHS.
- Length of stay is 21 days.
- Proof of ownership, vaccination history, health care documentation, and ID are required, if available.
- The client is required to sign Owner Agreement.
- Vaccinations and spaying/neutering is provided, if required. Other medical care will be at owner’s expense.
- Animal may be fostered with qualified foster volunteer.
- Animal provided with daily food, water, socialization, exercise and preventive care
- Fee waived for animal surrender
- Visitation is not permitted, however the owner can call to check on status of the animal
- Strictly confidential – client anonymity is guaranteed
Non-Emergency – All Hours
Emergency – Business Hours
Weekdays 12:00 – 7:00 PM
Weekends 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Call 403-205-4455 and select Option 2 for immediate routing to Call Centre for emergency handling.
Emergency – After Hours
All 24 Hour Vet Clinics will also be able to assist in an emergency.
The following documents are available for download for the PSK program: